My Photo
Name:
Location: Hartland, Michigan, United States

Thrilled to take a new direction in my career, grateful to own my own home, and rediscovering my artistic nature.

Friday, July 14, 2006

Much belated post but what a whirlwind

We have access to such great theater from here and here in Michigan! Since my last post I've been to the Shaw Festival in Niagara-on-the-Lake, Ontario, the Croswell Opera House in Adrian, and the Boarshead Theater in Lansing--just a whirlwind of stellar performances. At the Shaw I saw Arms and the Man by Shaw, Design for Living by Noel Coward, and High Society by Cole Porter--the last being absolutely my favorite. In fact, I may go back later in the season just to see it again. At the Croswell (which is the oldest continuously operating theater and community center in Michigan), I saw an "amateur" performance of Oklahoma--but there was NOTHING amateur about it. The choreography, in particular, was stunning. In the program for Oklahoma, it was noted that this was the first musical that actually incorporated the music as part of the dialogue. The dream/nightmare sequence was stunning. At the Boarshead, I saw a professional performance of All Night Strut--a toe-tapping revue of 30s and 40s swing and big band hits. So hard to sit still--nope, it was impossible!

But I haven't only gone to the theater...I've also enjoyed a Keb' Mo'/Bonnie Raitt concert at Meadowbrook Festival here in Rochester Hills, a Lansing Lugnuts game (Molson Thursday was probably not the best night to be there unless you enjoy beer, babes, and beach boys), the Meijer Gardens and Sculpture Park in Grand Rapids, the debut of the Blue Note Revival Quintet at Bakers Keyboard Lounge in Detroit (the oldest jazz club in the world), the Toronto All-Star Big Band at the St. Andrew Presbyterian annual Strawberry Festival (Niagara-on-the-Lake), and the Maid of the Mist ride to the Falls.

I am soooooo lucky to be able to do all of this! And such memories it all calls up...My daughter at the age of 2 dressed in a big yellow slicker on my only other Maid of the Mist trip, my son's YMCA t-ball and softball games on hot summer days, my first trip to a butterfly conservatory last March when I was so anxious that I kept ducking the Blue Morphos as they seemed to divebomb me (this time, I was so calm that two butterflies actually landed on me!), the first time I heard real jazz and real blues by real musicians...

and more memories being made. just wishing I had someone special with whom it could all be shared. (sigh)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home