My Photo
Name:
Location: Hartland, Michigan, United States

Thrilled to take a new direction in my career, grateful to own my own home, and rediscovering my artistic nature.

Sunday, February 01, 2009

Rescue Mom!

A week in Lowell Massachusetts with my daughter and son-in-law, plus Misty, the poodle-who-once-was-mine, has left me with lots of musing.

How did she get to be such a messie?
Was it really me that taught her to question authority so persistently?
Where did the compulsion to eat organic come from? and how can organic include chex mix?
If we truly want to be "green" then shouldn't the need to acquire be moderated by how the acquisitions will be packaged? Is it okay to keep buying when everything is delivered in styrofoam?

Lowell is a wonderful town--small town in some ways, historic town, vibrant and exciting arts center with much more potential.

I saw so many parallels between the small community in which I work and its need to find a new sustaining identity which I think will be a return to arts and culture center with Lowell. The competing factions of economic development through building, retail, food service and the preservation of history and historic buildings war in Lowell as they do in my small community.

I am excited for the potential of what daughter and son-in-law can achieve and for what they bring to every interaction. Watching her in action, creating connections and networking constantly--through social media, on the phone, in person--was an amazing lesson.

And amongst it all, I accomplished two loads of dishes in the dishwasher, 18 loads of laundry, the flattening of cardboard boxes into a 4'x4'x6' tall pile, and 30 bags of trash. And I got my first facial, a haircut, the poodle groomed, and visited the National Historic Park visitor center, the Whistler Museum of Art, and the New England Quilt Museum. I also ate far too well--two separate diners, the classic kind; Vietnamese for the first time; and a cool movie/dinner place with the viewing of Slumdog Millionaire (which I never would have gone to on my own, but am very glad I saw).

I am very fortunate for many reasons.

Labels: , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home