My Photo
Name:
Location: Hartland, Michigan, United States

Thrilled to take a new direction in my career, grateful to own my own home, and rediscovering my artistic nature.

Saturday, July 22, 2006

In Seattle--Alaska-bound

I arrived in Seattle sometime after midnight Thursday, July 20--somehow, I forgot about the three hours difference between Michigan and Washington. By the time I was checked into the Ace Hotel and settled down enough, it was 5 am my time Friday, July 21.

The Ace is not air-conditioned and Seattle is having a heat wave--not as bad as Detroit's and certainly nothing like my 123 degrees in Phoenix experience. But it is warm...Folks here are either loving it or wondering if it could just end and go back to "normal."

Still, I am having a blast. I would, of course, love to be sharing this with someone I love, but, it is still quite the experience. Yesterday I did the Frommer's walking tour of Pioneer Square--what history. Did the double-decker bus all over Seattle to orient myself relative to the map, then the Underground Tour, which is funny and amazing. No rats, but the corny jokes were good. Then some art galleries, general shopping, the Waterfall Gardens, but couldn't get to the Totem Pole park on Occidental--construction, lots of construction here. Lunch at McCoy's Firehouse--great tea, sausage sampler platter. That night, a lovely Salade Grenobloise and Kir with Mint sirop, at the Le P'tit Bistro. accompanied by French singer with guitar. He was so sweet and I recognized some of the lyrics and more than some of the melodies.

Today, I've been to the Seattle Asian Art Museum, temporary home of the Seattle Art Museum (more construction), and right now, I'm blogging from the Seattle Public Library. Must visit public libraries wherever I go--in the librarian genes. What a building. reminds me a bit of Phoenix Public Library in its concrete and glass-ness. very techy. but why not, it's Seattle--seems more fitting here.

Still to come today--I hope to get to the Frye Museum and the Klondike Gold Rush National Park (which is really a museum), then the Pike Place Market. And tonight, if I'm able, the Pike Pub & Brewery for my first meeting with some of the singles on this cruise...which takes off tomorrow!!

I think my pics are coming out okay on my new camera, so hope to post those when I return.

I found myself sitting in a moment this morning of sheer happiness--just absolute contentment and joy. And immediately a prayer of gratitude. I am so blessed. so very fortunate to be able to travel and see this incredible world. I still hope to find a church to attend tomorrow morning, but I have yet to see one in all the cross-city riding I'm doing, downtown.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home